Tuesday, October 23, 2007

IF A POT COULD TALK










Isaiah 45:9, Isaiah 64:8, Jeremiah 18:6, Lamentations 4:2

If a pot could talk, what would it say,
About the shape that it’s in and how it got that way?


Would It Say: “Put me back in the ground from whence I came.
Since you dug me up, I’ve never been the same.”

OR: “Thank you for extracting me from the ground,
I was so lost and now I'm so happy to be found.”


Would It say: “Don’t try to clean me and soften me up.
I’d rather stay dirty like the rest of the muck.”

OR: “Thank you for removing all the foreign objects from me.
Because of you, I have achieved such purity.”


Would It Say: “Must you knead so hard and press so much?
Just leave me alone, I don’t want to be touched!”

OR: “Since I know you won’t give me more than I can bear,
You must be pushing me so hard because you care.”


Would It Say: “First you wanted soft and now you’re making me hard.
Make up your mind! Who left you in charge?”

OR: “Thank you for all those additives to make me stronger.
Now I won’t crack or break and I’ll last much longer.”


Would It Say: “Now you’ve done it. I want to be hidden from others.
You’ve given me this pathetic pattern and these crazy colors.”

OR: “Thank you for not leaving me all boring and dull.
You’ve given me even more characteristics to fulfill my call.”


Would It Say: “Don’t put me in that fire, it’s too hot in there!
I did not ask for this and it is not fair!”

OR: “I will go through the fire, if I must.
I know it won’t be pleasant, but in you I trust.”


Would It Say: “You put me through all that and now you want me to work?
Just put me on the shelf because I’m just too hurt.”

OR: "You were the potter and I was the clay.
It’s because of you that I am here today.
When I was scared and hurting you said I’d be okay.
I’m so glad that I let you have your way.
You shaped me and molded me; now give me your fill.
I am ready to be used as a vessel for your will."


You may be a pot or you may still be clay.
What do YOU have to say
About the shape that you’re in and how you got that way?


-HEC3

4 comments:

Sista Lori said...

I am clay not yet a refined pot. As I go through my transformation to a beautiful end product, I serve as a testimony for others to see that you can get better and you can become a polished masterpiece for all to admire. Patience is the key for myself because I know that God has promised me life everlasting in the end. Therefore I know I will turnout fine no matter how long it takes.

Anonymous said...

Mother ShaRon

I am the clay that The Master continues to throw back on the potter's wheel, sometimes in frustration. After 60 years on that wheel, my clay has some dry places and some so gooey that they stick to The Master's hands. But yet he continues to see the possibilities in the raw clay of my existence.

I won't see myself as the finished product until I lay framed by the satin and steel of my coffin when my "pot" lies in the shadow of The Cross at the altar. As my years seem to pass by faster and faster, God continues to work His hands through the clay of my life. A crack appears and He smooths it away. A piece falls off and He refashions it into a beautiful ornamental design. Over and over God continues to work with me.

So often I hear people say that they want to be like me when they grow up. They see the pot with its cracks covered with a thick glaze fired in the heat of life's trials. But, they don't see how fragile the pot still is nor do they notice that it will not hold water because of the cracks hidden from view. I know that if God were to remove His hands from me, my pot would crumble into pieces. And yet again, God would have to throw me back on the potter's wheel and use my tears to moisten my dust into clay.

Finally, I have learned that if I stay the course, seek and follow God's Will, He will be faithful to His promises for my life here and in Heaven.

Anonymous said...

Hi Hampton, sorry to put this in a comment, but I could not find your email address or a "cotnact me" link.

I saw your post comment on "Black and Reformed Ministries". Like you, I googled black and reformed, but I added Pittsbburgh, and that is how I found your comment.

I live and worship in Pittsburgh and would like to invite your family to visit our church. we are, unfortunately almost all white. However, we do not desire to stay all white, we really have a vision for more ethnic and racial unity. Living in Pittsburgh, you know how divided the city is both racially and ethnically. I know it is a asking a big sacrifice to ask a black man to consider a white church. I had many black friends in the south that were kind enough to share their experiences with me.

If you would like to visit us, our name is Providence church of Pittsburgh, our website (it is not very impressive right now) is
PCOPand we are part of a larger group of churches called
Sovereign Grace Ministries

We meet at Independent Middle School in Bethel Park each week at 10:00 AM.

I really hope your family will join us someday, even if for just one week. I would hate to have to wait until heav3en to spend more time worshipping with my black brothers and sisters.

Anonymous said...

Bro bro bro! You talking about something that makes you reflect! I would have to say I've responded both ways 100 of times. When things aren't going as I want i respond in red. When I'm satisfied I respond in blue. I'm grateful for the ability to find gratitude in perspective.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.