Tuesday, November 24, 2009

What did you say, Whitney?



So, Whitney Houston very soulfully and elegantly sang "I Didn't Know My Own Strength" (Lyrics) @ the American Music Awards. She then began her acceptance speech by "first giving honor to God", which is a very nice gesture that many stars engage in. Yet, I couldn't help but to think, wouldn't she have given so much more honor to God by singing about HIS strength rather than her own. Maybe it's just me, but when I find myself going through life's trials and tribulations, it's definitely not MY strength that gets me through...it's all Him. Yeah, I know, she did sing several times in the song "my faith kept me alive". Heck, Paul even said "For when I am weak, than I am strong".
But remember, before he said that, Paul stated,
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Cor. 12:9-10)
You may recognize this passage from Paul's infamous "Thorn in the Flesh" chapter. Paul made it very clear what the source of his strength was during his weakest and most vulnerable points in his life. I'm just not so sure Whitney brought this point home. She boasted more about her strength than her weakness. So, who really gets the Glory? Maybe this wasn't her intention for this song. Maybe I'm just being picky. But if I am going to give honor where honor is due, the focus has to be on Him and not me.
In Whitney's defense, "I Didn't know my own Strength" is right on the money in the context of her other song "I Look to You" (Lyrics), even though she does not explicitly reference God. But do not confuse her message in "I Look to You" with whoever she is talking about in her older song "I Run to You"...that's another post.
-HEC3

1 comment:

ShaRon, The Bizzy Coupon Bee said...

Hampton, I am so glad you are putting pen to paper again. You must write a book at some point in your lifetime. I always feel like I have gained spiritual insight when reading your writings.

Love, Mom

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.